Movement&Me believe that learning to swim should be a positive and enjoyable experience right from the very start, helping to ensure children and adults alike value and participate in swimming for life. Our swim lessons embed the enjoyment of learning to swim into each and every session making the learning process FUN! This means we create confident, competent and motivated swimmers who thrive on being in the water.
Movement&Me have developed a unique programme that combines the Movement&Me physical literacy values with Swim England national framework in providing the following:
Mini Swimmers Programme
Aimed at babies and toddlers aged between 0-5 years old. This programme develops fundamental movement skills and water confidence for a lifelong love of water. Movement&Me believe that the first experiences during a child’s early years, of water and the pool environment, should be positive, fun and memorable. The key areas of focus of Mini Swimmers programme are to:
- Provide confidence from the word go
- Teach the core skills needed to learn the four strokes through fun and games
Learn To Swim Programme
Made up of the seven stages which provide the steps to developing confident and able swimmers through fun and enjoyment. Using a growth mind-set and games-led approach Movement&Me’s learn to swim programme, teaches the aquatic skills needed to become competent swimmers in all of the four strokes; front crawl, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly
Suitable for non-swimmers and teaches basic water safety awareness, basic movement and water confidence with the use of swimming aids such as armbands and floats.
- Enter the water safely
- Move forwards for a distance of 5 metres
- Move backwards for a distance of 5 metres
- Move sideways for a distance of 5 metres
- Scoop the water and wash the face
- Be at ease with water showered from overhead
- Move into a stretched, floating position using aids, equipment or support
- Regain an upright position from on the front with support
- Regain an upright position from on the back with support
- Push and glide in a horizontal position to or from wall
- Take part in a teacher or partner led game
- Demonstrate an understanding of pool rules
- Exit the water safely
This stage teaches safe entries to the water, jumping in, basic floating, travelling on front and back to 5 metres, rotating the body and regaining an upright position in the water – children can use swimming aids.
- Jump in from pool side safely
- Blow bubbles a minimum of 3 times rhythmically with nose and mouth submerged
- Regain an upright position from the back without support
- Regain an upright position from the front without support
- Push from the wall and glide on the back
- Push from the wall and glide on the front
- Travel on the back for 5 metres; aids or equipment may be used
- Travel on the front for 5 metres; aids or equipment may be used
- Perform a rotation from the front to the back to gain an upright position
- Perform a rotation from the back to the front to gain an upright position
At this stage children learn safe entries into the water including submersion, travelling on front and back to 10 metres, water safety knowledge and rotation skills.
- Jump in from pool side and submerge (minimum depth 0.9m)
- Sink and push away from wall on side and maintain a streamlined position
- Push and glide on the front with arms extended and log roll on to the back
- Push and glide on the back with arms extended and log roll on to the front
- Travel on the front, tuck to rotate around the horizontal axis to return on the back
- Fully submerge to pick up an object
- Answer correctly three questions on the Water Safety Code
- Travel 10 metres on the back
- Travel 10 metres on the front
- Exit the pool safely
At this stage children learn buoyancy through a range of skills, refining their kicking technique for all strokes and swimming 10 metres to Swim England standard.
- Demonstrate an understanding of buoyancy
- Perform a tuck float for 5 seconds
- Perform a sequence of changing shapes (minimum of 3) whilst floating at the surface
- Push and glide from the wall to the pool floor
- Kick 10 metres backstroke
- Kick 10 metres front crawl
- Kick 10 metres butterfly on the front or back
- Kick 10 metres breaststroke on the front
- Kick 10 metres breaststroke on the back
- Perform on the back a head first sculling action for 5 metres in a horizontal position
- Travel on the back and roll in one continuous movement onto front
- Travel on the front and roll in one
- Continuous movement onto back Swim 10 metres – choice of stroke is optional
Developing sculling and treading water skills, rotation and performing all strokes to the given standard as directed by Swim England.
- Perform a horizontal stationary scull on the back
- Perform a feet first sculling action for 5 metres whilst horizontal on the back
- Perform a sculling sequence with a partner for 30-45 seconds to include a rotation
- Tread water for 30 seconds
- Perform 3 different shaped jumps into deep water
- Swim 10 metres backstroke
- Swim 10 metres front crawl face in the water
- Swim 10 metres breaststroke
- Swim 10 metres butterfly
- Perform a handstand and hold for a minimum of 3 seconds
- Perform a forward somersault, tucked, in the water
- Demonstrate an action for getting help
Developing effective swimming skills including coordinated breathing; developing the water safety aspects and understanding of preparation for exercise.
- Demonstrate an understanding of preparation for exercise
- Sink, push off the wall, glide, kick and rotate into backstroke
- Sink, push off the wall, glide, kick and rotate into front crawl
- Swim 10 metres with clothes on
- Swim front crawl to include at least 6 rhythmical breaths
- Swim breaststroke to include at least 6 rhythmical breaths
- Swim butterfly to include at least 3 rhythmical breaths
- Swim 25 metres choice of stroke is optional
- Perform a ‘shout and signal’ rescue
- Perform a surface dive
- Exit the water without using the steps
Developing quality stroke technique up to 100 metres, incorporating skills learnt and combining them to develop a linked routine and complete successfully an obstacle course that combines a variety of skills accomplished throughout stages 1 – 7.
- Swim 25 metres backstroke
- Swim 25 metres breaststroke
- Swim 25 metres butterfly
- Swim 25 metres front crawl
- Perform a movement sequence of 1 minute duration, in a group of 3 or more, incorporating a number of the following skills: Sculling, Rotation, Eggbeater, Floating.
- Perform a sitting dive
- Swim 50 metres continuously using one stroke
- Swim 100 metres, using a minimum of 3 different strokes
- Tread water using eggbeater action for 30 seconds
- Complete an obstacle course (using a minimum of 4 objects) with feet off the bottom throughout
Adult Swim Programme
The programme caters for every type of adult swimmer from complete beginner to those just wanting to improve their technique.
No matter what age Movement&Me Adult swim programme is tailored to each persons learning needs, improving their confidence and competence in both swimming and movement.
In order to support in motivating all of swimmers. Movment&Me have their own awards scheme that rewards each of our swimmers as they reach their individual goals and progress in their swim journey.